Bring some winter magic into your classroom with this fun Finch Robot snowflake activity!
Practice shapes, angles, loops, and more as you program the Finch Robot to create intricate winter shapes. See the code that our team used to create this snowflake at the bottom of this post, or challenge yourself to create your own!
Ready to turn this simple snowflake activity into a full-blown blizzard? Here are a few ideas for extension:
- Create a variety of different snowflakes by adjusting code, or by changing hexagons to pentagons, squares, or whatever other shapes you’d like! Click “Read More” to see sample code
- Cut out the snowflakes that students create. Hang them from the ceiling, deliver them to other classrooms to spread the winter cheer, or even animate them using the Hummingbird Robotics Kit to create your own interactive winter display!
- Pair this activity with a snowflake-themed readaloud like Snowflake Bentley to learn more about the science of snowflakes
- Connect older and younger students by inviting different grades or classes to work together and program different types of snowflakes. What can they teach each other? What ideas do they have for their snowflakes once they have drawn them?
- Challenge students to draw an entire winter scene using the Finch robot. What else can they include with their snowflakes? Can they use the Finch to draw a snowman, or a house, or a stormcloud?
Whatever you create, we’d love to see it! Share your class’ work with us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or posting on your favorite social media platform and tagging us at @BirdBrainTech (here we are on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook).
Ready to see that sample code? Check it out below!
And just for good measure, here’s another piece of sample code. No video provided! What kind of snowflake does it create when you try it out?